Friday, September 10, 2010

Headboard Tutorial

The twins are loving their headboards! And I am loving how much better their room looks.

There are quite a few tutorial on this project
floating around the net.
Here is how I did it.

What you need:
1/4 plywood
fabric
batting
foam (I used an inexpensive egg crate)
staple gun
d-rings
picture wire
50 lb picture hangers


{Something I like to do before I have my plywood cut (at Lowe's)
is to put up painter tape to outline how large I want the headboard.
Then I measure it and take those measurements to 
Lowe's to have the wood cut.}
 First I lay out the egg crate (or foam) and cut it to size. 
Make sure if using a egg crate to lay the pattern side down,
so it won't show through.

 To give the kids a nice soft edge I went ahead and wrapped the foam around and stapled it down all the way around.
{If you wanted a nice crisp edge you might cut your foam to the exact size of your wood and  use some spray adhesive to attach it to the board.}
 Next step is to lay out your batting. I purchased a large roll of batting at Joann's
and left it folded over to double it. Just to give it a bit more fluff.
And again staple away.
 This is the fabric step!
Make sure and iron your fabric if need be.
Then lay it out fabric side down,
I like to start stapling at 12:00 and 6:00 first. Then check how your pattern
looks. If there is anything you need to center in your pattern (fabric)
you will want to adjust that now, before you have all of those staples in.
If it looks good then move on and staple at 3:00 and 9:00, checking your fabric again
and making sure to pull it taut as you staple.
If all looks good continue stapling about every 2 inches all the way around. 
 You are almost ready to hang.
Next get out those d-rings and screw them into the back of your headboard.
Making sure to check your fabric if you have a desired end that you need to be
on the top. I placed my d-rings about a 1/4 of the way down.
Run the picture wire through the d-rings and secure it.
 Once you have done those things the last step is to mount your picture hooks to the wall
and hang the headboard. I like to use 2 of the weighted hooks spread a little ways apart.
This way the headboard doesn't shift. Also when planning my headboards I like them to tuck
a bit behind the mattress. That way when I push the bed up against it, it is secure.
And this is your finished product.
Friends this is super easy and really creates 
such a custom look.
I don't know that I will ever buy a "real"
headboard again!

Have a great weekend!

Let me know if you guys are interested in a tutorial for the 
Argyle Wreath from yesterdays post.

18 comments:

Karen said...

I love the fabrics you chose Jesse, they turned out great! When you had the wood cut, did you have it cut to the exact width of the bed or did you subtract an inch or two to compensate for the foam, batting and fabric? I've always wanted to try making my daughter a headboard and this looks like a project I could easily handle.

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Your headboards turned out so well and for a straightforward project they add such a huge impact! Well done!

Lindsay said...

GORGEOUS! Love the pattern! Way to go momma!

Val said...

I seriously need to do this!!! You are amazing.

Krystle said...

I feel like getting rid of my bed and making my own headboard after this! Ha! Maybe we'll get a chance to try it when Logan moves into a big boy bed!

Unknown said...

wow your tutorial is fabulous! I mean, I really liked the finished product when you posted it before but this is really great. Now I totally feel like I can do this :)

Samantha said...

You made this look do-able.

Vanessa@decor happy said...

You make this look so easy! I love the fabric on your daughter's headboard - too cute. Great job!

Waynette Long said...

I have 1 spare bedroom that I've been wanting to re-decorate and this has inspired me to make the headboard instead of buying one. You're so right about them having such a custom look...I love it!!! BTW...A very good tutorial!!

Waynette Long said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
emily said...

This has inspired me to do a headboard for our guest room. The process is simple and it creates a wonderful custom look. Thanks for sharing the details! Your headboards turned out beautifully and the fabric is great!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Very very cute!

I am in love with your argyle wreath!!

xoxo
Jen

Leah said...

Love this! Thank you so much for sharing this and I would LOVE more tutorials!

Luvs!

Sharstin said...

they seriously turned out so great! love em!

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Wow, I love your fabric choices. Those look great!

:)

Unknown said...

They look fantastic! And this is a great tutorial! I hope you get tons of extra blog traffic via google searches for this tutorial!!!

Anonymous said...

Would you share where you find/purchase your fabrics? They are beautiful. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Sure, I purchased both of the fabrics for the headboards at Hobby Lobby. I had first checked Hancocks and then found these for about half of the price. =) Hope that helps.

Related Posts with Thumbnails